Help us help the Men’s Winter Shelter
Rev. Joanne has challenged our church to make a meaningful contribution to the community in honor of MLK. We have decided to focus our attention on the recently opened Men’s Winter Shelter. This emergency overnight shelter for men is scheduled to run from January 6 – March 31, 2017, but still needs our help to remain open.
There are four ways you can help: 1) Donate small items that are needed to operate the shelter, 2) Volunteer to help with a shelter task, 3) Give money, and/or 4) help the Social Action Committee. Scroll down to see details for each and find useful links to more information.
DONATE SMALL ITEMS
Bring your donations to the Church now and place them in the donation boxes at the SAC table. The shelter needs the following:
- Individual packaged snacks such as granola bars, cookies, cheese & crackers (no peanut butter, please)
- Bottled water
- Fresh fruit (apples, oranges, cuties) but not in packages
- Kleenex, wet wipes, disinfecting wipes, hand-warmers, deodorant
There are many opportunities to help and none of them require professional skills. The Shelter operates at the First Presbyterian Church in Champaign from Sunday-Thursday nights and Faith United Methodist Church in Champaign on Friday and Saturday nights. These churches stepped forward to offer shelter, but they need our help throughout the winter.
It is not hard to sign up, but the process is not immediately obvious. After you click on the link below, a sign-up calendar will open. Click on the blue bar that highlights a particular task and a day and time to do this task. You can then enter your name for that task if it is unclaimed. You can volunteer one time or many times. You can sign-up alone or with friends. Needs include:
- 2 volunteers every morning from 6:30- 7:30am (great opportunity to do with a friend) for general clean-up
- Several volunteers to load mats to transport from one site to the other on Friday and Sunday, and then to set up the mats and beds at the other site
- 1 volunteer every evening from 9:30-10pm for checking in men and assigning beds (paid staff are always on hand, too)
Click below to sign-up now or ask a friend to help you sign up! https://teamup.com/ks003aab0ac5b6e3ed
Still have questions about volunteering? Contact Shelter Director, Joshua Fourman: email@example.com
Community members who wish to donate towards the shelter effort can give to United Way of Champaign County’s Men’s Emergency Winter Shelter fund.
By mail: 404 W. Church St, Champaign IL 61820
Please denote the gift is for Men’s Emergency Winter Shelter.
The Shelter needs help all winter. The Social Action Committee will shepherd our involvement through March. Can you staff the SAC table, help volunteers sign-up, publicize needs, take photos, lead celebrations, or deliver our small item donations? Contact Jim Hannum at firstname.lastname@example.org.